Monday, December 23, 2013

Happy Birthday, Katie and Lauren

When I was a kid, I thought that the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas" was about the run up to Christmas Day and it was wicked cool that my birthday was the first of those famous 12 days.  That was before I realized that Christmas is a season and not a day.

Those of us with near-Christmas birthdays tend to have a bit of a complex.  Our birthdays are frankly inconvenient.  Everyone is busy with pre-holiday frenzy, to find time to celebrate a birthday in the middle of it is just a nuisance.  We get birthday gifts wrapped in Christmas paper, the famous "we'll get you one bigger gift for both Christmas AND birthday" line, we have low attendance at birthday parties (memories of my 14th are as fresh today as they were that day when exactly ONE person came to my party).  The very WORST is a birthday cake decorated with poinsettias and Christmas trees.

Because of all this (which would likely be better with therapy, but, who has time for THAT in December?) when my nieces were born on December 23, I had a "tiny sad" that they would face a lifetime of not-so-special birthdays.  

This blog post is not about Christmas.  It is about two beautiful young ladies.  They are shining examples of Christian virtue in a world that becomes darker by the year.  I love you both, I am proud to be your Auntie.

Katie Rose and Lauren Grace, Happy Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment